Sunday, November 1, 2009

Leh-Wakha-Kargil

4:30am we woke up. Driver felt fresh and we headed for Wakha. Now we were actually heading to lower altitude so we were expecting more pleasant temperatures. We reached Wakha and it was a small village. For the first time today I got rid of my jackets and sweat-shirt. All set we were waiting for or gypsy to come. The bikers arrived first and then came the gypsy’s. Everyone arrived but there was no sign of or guys. Officials informed me that they had a mechanical breakdown and had handed over their time sheets. We were out of the Raid.
Once all the gypsy’s had passed we went back to them. They were in the Army Camp waiting for us. “Engine Seize,” Aman said. Plan was to load the vehicle upto Jammu in truck and from there the Maruti trucks would carry it back to Delhi. We were invited for lunch by the kids of the Commanding officer of the particular army base. After the royal treat and a lunch with senior officials of our Army we were provided with a Guest room with all possible facilities they could provide us. It was an experience of life time.
When in our guest room we all were sad and disappointed, Why? Because we were doing really well and 3 of the top 5 drivers were also out of the race. An assured place in top 3 was up for grabs and it wouldn’t have been surprising if we would have finished 1st. I decided to head back to Delhi the same moment, because our cricket team was playing in finals next day. I thought at-least let me make it there.
Devang and Devraj, two fun guys who were officiating the Raid gave me lift up to Kargil. Two interesting guys lit up the evening that day. At Kargil I thanked them and booked a taxi which would take me Srinagar and from there I was to take a flight back to Delhi. End of today!

Click below for today’s pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment