Sunday, November 1, 2009

Kargil-Drass-Zozila-Srinagar

That evening after taking our dinner we left for Srinagar. Fazil my driver warned me that they could stop us on the check posts and won’t let us pass just a safety concern. But we still headed taking a chance. When arrived at Drass they dint let us go through. Spent about 5 hrs in -22°C and finally at 4;00am they let us through.
Light came up unusually early and we were then crossing the Zozila pass. I would call this the deadliest pass because it’s very narrow and the roads are in terrible condition. Watched two trucks crossing each other and one of them almost went down the valley we reached Sonmarg. Had our breakfast there, the Kashmiri naan and the omelet was the perfect beginning to the day. Next stop was Srinagar airport. I booked my ticket and headed straight back to Delhi.

We lost the match by 16 runs. Guess the luck wasn’t favoring us, neither me nor Aman. Both of us went out closely. Later on we got news that the Rangdhum to Padum section was terrible and full of boulders. A.S Brar won the x-treme section and our 5times champ couldn’t finish the Raid. I guess the pressure got to him finally. He had someone who could challenge him and beat him. Aman and Manoj had decided to wait for the Prize Distribution since they were suppose to get trophies for the fastest time in competitive sections. But apparently Raid wasn’t giving out trophies this year so they headed back to Delhi.
Click below for today’s pictures

Guess what all of us met after coming back from Raid. Me, Aman, Manoj, Rohit and Ajay and were already planning for next year. We would enter as a team of 4 gypsy’s. New guys would join in, Ajay would join me in service team etc etc…all of us already in Mayapuri hunting for Gypsy’s. I found a new group of friends and something to look forward in 2010, the 12th Raid De Himalayas.

The Manali to Leh route was something I always wanted to do on a bike or even a jeep. It was like a dream to me which came true, even though not the way I wanted but it happened. Not only did I do the Manali to Leh but completed the circuit by going ahead to Srinagar. I would certainly go for the Raid again next year, well if all goes alright. And 100% sure I would do this route all by myself some day. As of now signing off with some wonderful memories of the Raid, the phenomenal landscapes, the grueling and torturing passes, the sleepless night and the adrenaline rush.

Thanks for being patient and being a part of my journey.

11th Raid De Himalayas
ver. Tanzeem Patankar

2 comments:

  1. wah ...sahi hai... toe fir ek seat meri bhi book kar le nxt year ki ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theek hai...waise bhi next year we are going as a bigger team... with more service vehicles.. so i am sure there should be one extra seat... but saale g#%d mara ke kaam karna padega!!!! Think about that too... you wont get to sleep....

    ReplyDelete